In the state of Connecticut, a dog owner or keeper is liable for any harm their dog causes to another animal, person or other person’s property.*
Einhorn Insurance assists responsible dog owners with canine or dog liability insurance in Connecticut. We don’t breed discriminate and our policies provide coverage for all breeds, including Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Akitas, Dobermans, Chows, German Shepherds…etc.
Connecticut Dog or Canine liability insurance covers you and your dog if your dog causes bodily injury to other people or their animals. These policies can provide coverage both AT YOUR HOME AND AWAY FROM HOME (off premises).
As a dog owner, you must cover medical fees (including plastic surgery), legal expenses and the injured parties lost wages if your dog harms them. In the even your dog hurts another dog or animal, you may be responsible for vet bills and burial expenses.
Most people assume that a majority of dog claims are with the “aggressive breeds.” This is not always the case. We have seen more claims with Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels and Dachshunds than we have with Pit Bulls.
Einhorn Insurance has helped Connecticut residents when:
– Their home, fire or condo insurance dropped them due to their dog’s breed.
– They have difficulty finding a place to rent with their dogs.
– Their dog has been deemed dangerous, vicious, potentially dangerous, potentially vicious or a public nuisance.
– A dog has bit another animal or person.
– A dog has damaged someone else’s property.
– They just want to be a responsible owner and carry dog friendly insurance.
If you are a landlord in Connecticut, we strongly encourage you to rent to responsible dog owners. They make great tenants and will appreciate the opportunity you give them. We’ve found that when we rent to Pit Bull owners, our properties are kept up nicely, rent is paid on time and there is little vacancy. We do however suggest you require your tenants to carry canine liability insurance and list you as an Additional Interest on the policy. This will help protect your assets and you will be notified if your tenant ever cancels the policy or if the policy lapses due to non-payment.
Here are some interesting stats that may help you see why having dog liability insurance is so important:
- 1/3 of home insurance claims are dog related (Insurance Information Institute)
- Approximately $4.7M people are bitten annually by dogs
- Over 50% of these bites occur on the owner’s property
- This results in $800,000 injuries requiring medical attention (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Almost $400,000 of these injuries affect children
- Dog bites rank as the 2nd most common cause of childhood hospital ER visits
- $25,000 is the average cost for a dog claim
* Stats provided by Insurance Information Institute and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
*A dog owner/keeper is not liable if damage occurred while a person was committing a trespassing or other tort, teasing, abusing or tormenting the dog.