Did you know that every 60 seconds, a house catches on fire? Now that summer is here, we are more focused on wild fires and fire season. Homes located in high brush areas and wild fire zones are not the only properties that need to be conscious of fires.
Fires can start inside your home. It’s important to check your house thoroughly so you can prevent fires in your home.
Below are a few simple things you can do to prevent a fire before it has a chance to start.
- Keep matches, lighters and all flammables out of the reach of children.
- Make sure every room has enough electrical outlets so you don’t have to load up one outlet with a bunch of plugs. Never use more than one high-wattage appliance on a circuit at a time.
- Install smoke detectors at the top of each stairway, in bedroom areas and in basements.
- Inspect the heating system, wood-burning stove and chimney once a year. Improperly installed or maintained equipment causes fires.
- Don’t keep oily, greasy or paint smeared rags in the house as they may go into spontaneous combustion.
- Don’t let electric cords for lamps, electronics, hair dryers, blenders…etc, get wet.
- Keep an eye on the stove while broiling or frying. NEVER pour water on burning fat because it spreads the flame. Instead, use a dry chemical fire extinguisher or cover the fire with the pan lid to keep out oxygen.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen at all times.
- Make sure there is enough air circulation around your TV, stereo and electronics (as they are usually grouped around each other).
10. Don’t smoke in bed or when lying down. Negligent smoking is the cause of more than half of home fires.
11. Make a conscious effort to put out all candles.
Einhorn Insurance strongly recommends taking a video of all your personal belongings and emailing the video to yourself. If your home does burn in a fire, you can always check your email from a different location and have a record of all your personal property.
When you insure your home with Einhorn Insurance, we will donate a lunch in your honor to your responding fire station. Einhorn Insurance feels it’s important to recognize the firefighters that protect our homes, family and assets on a daily basis.
Additionally, Einhorn Insurance offers complimentary home insurance evaluations to make sure you have enough coverage so you can recover fully in the event of a fire/loss.
Our agency offers free Fire Prevention Kits which include:
– A household inventory booklet so you can keep a record of all your personal property.
– A Homeowners checklist that can show you how to protect your home from fires.
– A DVD that teaches causes of fire and fire prevention.
For more information on how to prevent fires in your home, visit https://einhorninsurance.com/california-fire-insurance/ or call us at 858-336-4644.
Stay safe and we look forward to hearing from you.