Halloween is a fun time for everyone! Einhorn Insurance wants to make sure you keep your pets safe on Halloween.
Here are a few Halloween Pet Safety Tips:
1. Sugar, chocolate (which contains a chemical called theobromine) and/or artificial sweeteners can be very dangerous for pets. Even sugar free candy (which contains xylitol) can be toxic. Keep candy out of your pet’s reach and make sure it only goes to humans. Even after you go trick-or-treating, hide your candy from your furry friends.
2. Do you have awesome Halloween decorations that require electricity? Make sure your dog(s) can’t chew on the cords.
3. Although Bernice looks ADORABLE in costumes, we don’t dress her up as it causes a lot of stress. If you do dress up your pet, make sure they can move easily and their breathing isn’t restricted. Also, make sure your pet can’t chew the costume and choke on any fabric or its pieces.
4. Don’t leave the door open unattended while handing out candy. Pets are very crafty and can slip out the door quickly. Halloween is the second most common holiday for pets to get lost (the first is 4th of July). It may be best to keep pets in rooms or on a leash while you are handing out candy.
5. Keep black cats inside. Due to certain practices, black cats can be looked at as spiritual offerings.
6. Remember to blow out candles (even inside the pumpkin) as pets can easily tip them over and cause fires.
If you have any other tips on how to keep pets safe on Halloween, we’d love to hear them!