Ready To Get Started?

Get a free quote today.

Get a quote

Did you know that homeowners, condo and renters insurance policies DO NOT cover damage caused by floods in California?  This can be a major concern as weather forecasters are anticipating extreme El Nino rains in California’s near future. 


Over the past four years, California has suffered a severe drought. The combination of the drought and California wildfires has made it difficult for the ground to absorb large amounts of rainfall.  This downpour of rain will not only cause large amounts of water to move into lower elevations, but the gushing water will also take loose soil and debris along with it.


FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) says that a few inches of water (from a flood) can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage.  From 2010 to 2014, the average residential flood claim was more than $39,000!


At Einhorn Insurance, we receive calls daily from property owners and renters asking how they can protect themselves and their properties from damage from flood.  Even those living in low to medium risk flood areas are inquiring about flood insurance in California….and they are smart to do so.  A flood insurance policy in California can pay for damage to your property or home and personal property damaged by flood water. 


We strongly recommend being proactive and exploring flood insurance policies in California sooner than later.  Flood insurance in California has a 30 day wait period which means it takes a minimum of 30 days to put a flood insurance policy into effect (there’s an exception for people in escrow).  For those living in higher risk flood areas, it can take even longer to officially issue a policy.



Similar to Earthquake insurance policies, flood insurance in California is a completely separate policy.  It is not part of your home insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, landlord insurance or income property insurance.  As a matter of fact, damage caused from Flood and/or Earthquakes are specifically EXCLUDED on these policies.



Many people think they need flood insurance when a pipe bursts in their home or an appliance has an overflow of water.  These types of “floods” are most likely covered by your home insurance, not flood insurance.


A flood is excess water on land that is normally dry.  This flood usually occurs from a temporary situation such as a rapid accumulation of runoff of surface waters from heavy rains, damn breakage, tidal waves and/or heavy mudflow.  A flood can also be caused by a collapse of land along a shore of a lake or body of water where the collapse was cause by erosion, waves or currents of water.


So remember, be proactive!!!! Don’t wait for the rains to buy flood insurance in California to protect your property and personal belongings. 


For more questions or if you would like an estimate for flood insurance in California, please email us at or call 619-313-4643.



# Don't delted. Handles all the internal links.